State of the Region
Dr. James Koch, Prof. of Economics & Pres. Emeritus of Old Dominion University, will focus on our "Big Three"... defense, the port and tourism, plus an analysis of the housing market, the economic impact of coal and suggested development strategies.
The Report, which will be provided to all who attend, also includes the following topics:
- What Do We Do Now? As 46% of our regional economy dependent on military spending, what economic strategies should we pursue considering the decreased military spending?
- Coal: The Port of Virginia is the largest coal-exporting port in the U.S. – in light of the rising cost of natural gas, etc.; we will examine the economic impact it will have in our region in the future.
- Where Our Cities and Counties Spend Their Money: As spending per pupil has increased faster than inflation and administrative expenditures have also risen more rapidly than those on instruction, we will compare and contrast the spending habits of our local cities and counties.
- Virtual Education in Hampton Roads: The focus on this chapter is upon virtual, online
- K – 12 education in our region. It’s increasing rapidly and thus far operates with minimal regulation from the Commonwealth.
- Asian Americans in Hampton Roads: The rise of Indian-Americans from the Asian continent is not only known as the best educated minority group in Hampton Roads, but also the group with the highest earned wages. We will look at their achievements, state and attitudes.
- How We Care for the Mentally Ill in Hampton Roads: The focus here is on how the mentally ill are identified, how they are cared for, and in light of recent tragedies – their access to guns.